Song of the Summer Winner!!!

*Editor’s Note – Our favorite guest blogger and Spotify account admin Jag Mehoff is back to recap the 2019 Song of the Summer bracket. This year, we left the voting up to the loyal WRDies and they responded – over 10,000 votes were recorded on Instagram Stories polls and over 3 people followed us on Spotify. Full playlist here for all your pregame needs. Enjoy.

Song of the Summer Tournament Review

The 1972 Presidential election, Spongebob vs King Neptune for Neptune’s spatula, season 13 of the Bachelor, the 2019 Song of The Summer Tournament. Each of these are labeled as some of the greatest competitions of all time and we are honored to be part of such a list.

What started as a 16 song field to find the one song that would carry the label as THE song of the summer now has its ruler. The amount of votes received from our followers was so overwhelming, that we couldn’t even try and sway the results by logging into our parents instagram accounts because it would not have made a difference. Before we get to our champion let’s revisit some of the highlights of the competition:

ROUND 1:

Higher Love by Kygo & Whitney Houston (88%) def I Don’t Belong In This Club by Why Don’t We Feat. Macklemore (12%):

Kygo and Whitney Houston took Macklemore by his bolo tie and dragged him straight out of the club in this opening round matchup. This is why the best teams in college football start off their season playing against terrible schools like Richmond (*editor’s note – this is mean*) so that they can destroy them and take the momentum with them through the rest of the year. Hey Macklemore next time Kygo sees you in the club he’s going to remind you why you don’t belong in there… also just be better will ya?

Money In The Grave by Drake Feat. Rick Ross (58%) def The Git Up by Blaco Brown (42%):

Have you ever done something as a kid or even as an adult that got your parents to say “I’m not angry I’m just disappointed?” Well guess what WRDies? Consider me and the Content King your parents on this one. What on earth were you thinking? The Git Up is the song that has a great family, loveable personality, and is attractive, but is “too nice.” Money In The Grave is the new kid that just got here and is kind of mysterious but seems hot due to the rumors of who his friends are and the bad boy vibe he gives off. Well you know what? Which one are you going to look back on and wish you had given the chance? Exactly. Now go clean your room.

The ultimate nice guy.


ROUND 2

Senorita by Shawn Mendes & Camila Cabello (72%) def No Brainer by DJ Khaled feat. Justin Bieber & Chance The Rapper (28%):

Love rules and high school stinks

The top seed in the tournament got a HUGE win here threatening to send Bieber back to his days when he rocked a bowl cut. Vegas saw the results of this matchup and doubled down on Senorita to win it all because ever since High School Musical we always want couples that sing together to stay together.

Truth Hurts by Lizzo (70%) def Old Town Road Remix by Lil Nas X, Billy Ray Cyrus, Mason Ramsey, & Young Thug (30%):

Lizzo came out fighting like a woman who has boy problems, but that’s the human in her… and then she solved them turning her into a goddess. This result had the Content King debating canceling the tournament due to his unwavering support for Mason Ramsey, but luckily I was able to talk him out of it. After this huge win Lizzo started to emerge as a possible under the radar champion who now has to face the top seed in the semi finals.

ROUND 3:

Truth Hurts by Lizzo (61%) def Senorita by Shawn Mendes & Camila Cabello (39%)

Lizzo straight up told Shawn Mendes that he messed up big time and could have had a bad b*tch that was non-commital that actually helped him with his career, but instead he just lost the most important matchup of his life. Whew moment of silence for Shawn please…. Lizzo went from a 3 seed to now being one of the potential songs of the summer. Get it girl.

Higher Love by Kygo & Whitney Houston (77%) def I Don’t Care by Ed Sheeran feat. Justin Bieber (23%)

Ed Sheeran has had a great summer and made a serious run in the tournament, but in the end just wasn’t able to derail the momentum that Higher Love put together. When we approached Bieber for comment on this tragic defeat you can guess that he played it cool and insisted he “didn’t care.” Wow what a badass. One of the pre-tournament favorites Higher Love made it into the final, but could it live up to the hype and finish the job?

FINAL ROUND:

Higher Love by Kygo & Whitney Houston (54%) def Truth Hurts by Lizzo (46%)

Ali vs Frazier, Nick Cannon vs Eminem, Popeyes vs Chick Fil A, Higher Love vs Truth Hurts (I’m a fan of comparisons). This was a battle between two songs that both could have easily been labeled as THE song of the summer, but in the end Higher Love told Lizzo she couldn’t handle the truth! (picture that one scene from the Tom Cruise movie).

Lizzo put up quite the fight in one of the tightest battles of the entire tournament 46,000 votes to Higher Loves 54,000… can someone say page views? 

With the tournament finally at a close we here at WRD would like to crown Higher Love by Kygo & Whitney Houston as the 2019 Song Of Summer! 

Thank you to all of our followers for participating, and I hope you enjoy the last few precious weeks of warm weather and bad decisions while jamming out to the official song of the summer. 

One thought on “Song of the Summer Winner!!!

Leave a Reply